Hong Kong Customs said it arrested 10 people and seized approximately 240 kilograms of cannabis or suspected narcotics in an operation targeting an alleged international trafficking network. The reported estimated value of the seizure ranged from more than HK$50 million to HK$56 million.
Authorities said the network used Hong Kong as a transit hub for cannabis moved from Southeast Asia towards Europe and Africa. RTHK reported that most of those detained had flown from Southeast Asia and were passing through Hong Kong en route to European or African destinations.
Customs officers checked transit baggage from passengers arriving from Southeast Asia. X-ray scans showed some luggage contained no personal belongings but only suspicious packages, prompting officers to intervene, according to Customs.
RTHK identified the detainees as nine men and one woman aged between 18 and 57. Customs and RTHK reported an allegation that the network recruited people of different nationalities with financial incentives to smuggle cannabis and avoid law-enforcement checks.
The enforcement operation, named “Flame Mesh” by RTHK, began on July 13 according to that report, while other reports described its start as around mid-July. It concluded on August 17, with Customs announcing the arrests and seizure on August 18.
Customs said it would continue risk-based baggage checks, monitor trafficking trends, exchange intelligence with overseas customs agencies and pursue cross-border networks. The supplied reports did not specify whether charges had been filed or whether the substance, final weight and valuation had been formally confirmed.