A suspected theft has been reported at a closed funeral shop on Kuk Street, Hung Hom, after a coffin valued at about HK$33,000 was allegedly removed and another coffin left in its place on August 18. An iron frame was also reported missing.

Police attended the shop and classified the case as theft for investigation. The premises’ metal shutter showed no obvious signs of damage. One report described the replacement as a darker coffin, while another said it was a coffin believed to be cheaper than the missing one; the latter description has not been independently confirmed.

The reports differed on who discovered the incident. i-CABLE News said a worker returned to clean the shop and found the items missing, while Star Headline said the owner, identified as Mr Chan, discovered the situation on returning. The time was reported as around 11am, with one account giving 11.17am.

Star Headline reported that Mr Chan had taken back the shop and stopped operating it about two and a half years earlier. The premises still contained between 100 and 200 urns holding ashes at one stage, but he had recently reduced his visits after most had been collected. The shop had reportedly operated for about 50 years and was managed with help from former staff.

i-CABLE News reported that the owner had placed the coffin in the shop in a previous year and found no problem when inspecting the premises in June 2026. The reports did not establish when the coffin and iron frame were removed or how anyone entered without visibly damaging the shutter.

The identity of any suspect remains unknown. It is also unclear whether the replacement coffin was in fact cheaper or otherwise a substitute, and what its status and value are. Police investigations are continuing.